Monday, August 01, 2011

Six Take: Tale of Six Cities

So this month for the six take we are supposed to give you a view of how our different cities makes us all different fashionally… what I think is the most interesting part… my fashion is not really… Glen Burnie-esque. I live in Glen Burnie, Maryland which usually makes people go “where?”. It’s a stone throw from Baltimore, MD which is where I do all my hanging out and dancing. It’s also near Annapolis which is the capitol of Maryland. Glen Burnie is a suburban area with a bit of a “ghetto” edge. So I get asked A LOT… why am I all dressed up. The typical uniform of Glen Burnie is man shirts, leggings, and flip flops. So my fashion is “frowned upon”. As I am writing this post, I’m too sick to get all dolled up. Then I remember an awesome outfit a took a few weeks ago that I never posted.

IMG_0035

Now the reason I decided to use these pictures for my six take is the story behind these pictures. The building I am using as a backdrop is amazing and I wanted to sit on the ledge of this building. I thought that the people in the building were gone and that there was no one there. Unfortunately… that was not the case.

IMG_0031

This is apparently a full time mental therapy location. They specialize in bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. I did not know that at the time… I had to Google it when I got home. Anyway, after I was done taking my pictures, one of the patients (I was going to call them crazies… but let’s be honest… I’m not 100% sane my dang on self) comes out and starts taking pictures of me and my truck. **s/n: I use my truck hood to take my pictures… in case you didn’t know** When I asked the woman why she was taking pictures of my truck she said “Just in case” lol. I said I’m a fashion blogger just taking pictures for my blog…her reply “sure you are”. LOL. I don’t know if it was racism or sizism but it left me with a bad taste in my mouth. So I wasn’t going to use the pictures… but dude… this outfit is HOT!!!

IMG_0006

Anyway, when I tell some people in my area that I am a stylist and fashion blogger… I get the head to toe. So don’t think that if you come to my area that what I wear is the norm… I think what I wear is so “abnormal” that people don’t know what to do with me. Since embracing my fashionable side I have lost friends, and have been told that I am bourgeois ("BOO-zhee") and a snob. But if you know me… you know that I am a goofball and love breaking out into the peewee-herman at any moment. I love telling crazy stories and just being a nut. My fashion is just the draping that makes it look less nerd… lmao

IMG_0008

After attending full figure fashion week I began to think my fashion would fit in better in New York… but I like being an original. I like that people describe me as the plus size dark skinned chick in sky high heels. That people will meet me and say that someone else told them about me. And they both knew they were talking about the same person.

IMG_0039

Now I will be honest and say that color is not shied away from in Maryland. I find in Baltimore I have even seen a chick rocking NEON weave… that’s right… neon. So color is not anything new. But when I color-block… I see the side-eyes I get. I see how people look when I show up with green eyeshadow. But that is me… and I refuse to let… this state change who I am… especially with my fashion.

IMG_0049

Even though this post isn’t exactly what I thought it would be I am glad I held on to these photos. Because these pictures are exactly what my fashion is right now. Long skirts with color, big hair and big earrings. I feel like the Yoli I was always meant to be but never was before this year. Fashion really is my passion.

IMG_0041

Will Glen Burnie ever be the fashion capitol of the world? Not likely unless all the other cities in the world burned down to the ground and took all wearable fashion along with them. But fashion is individual… and no matter wear you live, you can be inspired and inspire others.

Check out my six take blogger sisters and their fashionable cities. Check out their sites and make sure you’re following them too:

15 comments:

Jessica Fleischer said...

you look FABULOUS as usual!! I can't even tell that you don't feel quite yourself, you really look great in that maxi skirt!!

well done, Yoli!!

xo Jess

Style Chic 360 said...

You look so cute!!! :) I love it!

xxl from Queensizedflava said...

I live in Glen Burnie, Maryland which usually makes people go “where?” ...hahahaaha!!! i think i did the same thing when u told me...ur too funny girl... n e ways i love the colors on you

Nekiah said...

I love your outfit girl! You look HAWT! I used to live in Glen Burnie!! That is super crazy!

CityPoodle said...

I laughed at your whole post.  Knowing Glen Burnie helps.  I love the coral and belt.  Keep on styling!  Side-eyes be damned!

Jessica Downes said...

You look amaze! I'm with you on this, I live in a small country town, most people here don't know what chanel or perfume are lol So when I had out my networking cards that have stylist on them, I get the same look.. soooooo annoying! 


Love the shoes in the photos, any chance you dont want them any more?? xx
Jessica
www.toomanysequins.blogspot.com

Jolene said...

Fantastic post! Haven't been blogging or even reading much lately(crazy life getting in the way and all LOL)....but I'm glad I stopped by.

I live in a city of over a million people, you see anything and everything here.

QueenDiva said...

Glad to see this comment... I called out your name in a previous post because I was wondering where you were (no clue which post though... lol). I wish my area was a bit bigger. I say that now because it is so small.

QueenDiva said...

I swear you and I love to covet each others shoes... lol. I want yours... and you want mine. Will we ever be happy? lol

QueenDiva said...

Hehe... you know Glen Burnie? OMG!!! I think I love you more now :)

QueenDiva said...

You used to live in Glen Burnie... NO WAY!!! what are the chances?!!! Do you ever come back up this way?

QueenDiva said...

You did... with a confused look on your face. LMAO!!! great memory you have...

QueenDiva said...

Thanks Doll!!! Love!!!

QueenDiva said...

Thanks Jess... I loved your post... amazing!!!

Beej LeSweete said...

I ***LOVE*** THIS.

Related Posts with Thumbnails