Monday, April 05, 2010

DOTD: Perfect Spring Dress... and a mind full of thoughts...

Again... I decided to start with something that is on my mind before I commence with the outfit. I have so many things on my mind… and what is my blog for if not to clear my head.

So…about 2 years ago, I went on a diet/Weight Watchers and lost 70lbs. I had gone from a size 26 to a size 16. For those of you who are new to the whole QueenDiva fan club (yeah… I know… it’s a small fan club… but hey… we gotta start somewhere) you probably thought I just maintain the size I am. Now currently I am at a comfortable size 16/18… which would be okay if my 16s weren’t so damn tight and in some cases… unWEARable. So I have decided to rejoin Weight Watchers and also, this past weekend we joined a new gym. Not because Jennifer Hudson (who was my twin before her weight loss… lol) but because my husband as forbidden me from buying anymore clothes in larger sizes. He’s not an unreasonable man, but 2 years ago when I lost the weight I told him I needed all new clothes because I was going to STAY at a size 16. So for me to now need 18s… well… you can see his point.

Now I am stating all of this because as someone who is all about loving the skin you’re in, I feel rather guilty about my weight loss choice. I don’t want to make people think I am a hypocrite. That I am only talking about self acceptance and I’m not living self acceptance. So I wanted to be honest and real with my readers… about my reasons for losing weight:
  1. If I even attempt to purchase another article of clothing that is in a larger size… my husband may be on the local news for murder… and of course… I would be found clutching my credit card.
  2. I love the clothing I have purchased… and do not want to have to donate anything because I can’t fit it. **The last time I donated clothing… I did so to my neighbor and now when I see her in my clothing it just saddens the crap out me to see how much she has COMPLETELY destroyed the clothes that I spent serious money on.
  3. When I exercise… I don’t have to rely so heavily on my “HAPPY” pills in order to make it through the day.
  4. And this is the most important reason… my gym… is hosting a biggest loser contest… and the grand prize is $1000. That’s right… $1000. Do you know how much Torrid/Faith21/AsosCurve/Dorothy Perkins/Evans clothing that is? I DO!!!
Now I am quite aware that reason 1 and 4 contradict… but seriously… you have to know that SOME of that money was going to be for purchasing clothing. I just won’t use MY income *winks*

So that is one thing on my mind… the other thing… and this is VERY serious…

WHEN CAN I WEAR MY WHITE SHOES?!!!!

I ask this because I was raised in the south and the rule was you could wear your summer white shoes (not to be confused with winter white) after EASTER. Now I move up north to the great MD/DC/VA divide… and its different. Here it’s something about after Memorial Day and before Labor Day. I once wore white shoes after Easter… and this coworker… practically lost her mind. Talking about how OBVIOUSLY no one had trained me on Fashion Etiquette… WTF?!!! I invented etiquette… I thought I was going to get fired that day for office violence.

So I ask my readers… when do you pull out your white shoes?

And to give you something to look at while you comment… on either of the subjects above… here is my DOTD…

Outfit Breakdown:
Sparkly Sweater: Torrid
Dress: Dress Barn
Shoes: Charlotte Russe
Accessories/Pearls: Claire's/Icing




 ~besitos~

18 comments:

╰⊰⊹✿Dawn╰⊰⊹✿ said...

Simply GAWGEOUS DAHLING!!! I am so jealous I love that dress!!! OK so, Since I was raised by the woman who invented ediquette, The rule is you can wear white from Easter to Labor day. But, most dont play by that rule anymore. Unless we still have Granny's that will bust your fanny if you wear white in october lol. < shudders> But, Easter is the kinda official Kick off to Spring. And you were supposed to break out all the bright colors on that day. Hence the Easter Dress and white patten leather shoes we all wore as kids. You got to get a new dress and show off at church and ditch the drab borning colors of winter. So hope that helps. =o)

kissy, kissy !

Anonymous said...

I am lovin that dress!!! I don't know about the white thing, and I dare some crazed woman to tell me something about wearing white. I will wear whatever the hell I want whenever I want. I make my own rules when it comes to my wardrobe!!! Am I right?

Velma Williams said...

you look good, im loving the pearls. :)

LipGlossGossip said...

I love that dress! You look fab!

As for white shoes I don't know. The only time I ever wore white shoes was on my wedding day! :D

I hope you win that $1000! :)

None said...

I love the way your dress looks with that sweater.

I've never had white shoes, but I have to tell you, if someone told me I shouldn't wear them... I'd probably wear them every day just to show her. I grew up in Florida, where people wear the same things year-round (mostly t-shirts and shorts), so those kinds of rules don't make sense to me. I guess I am cluelessly rebellious.

cheeky rose said...

the choice of colour you wear is not restricted to certain times of the year. unless you are still clinging on to the way things used to be. White is good all year round but it depends of what you are wearing, white trainers are great all year round, but white heels in winter is a no no. but spring is time to ditch those dark colours which mean you can start to wear white again, go on have some fun! what do you care what others say.

Lodimat said...

Love your dress!

and I don't have a pair of white shoes so I really don't know anything about the white shoe rule! :D I'M sorry...

vc said...

Very proud of you for going back on WW! I too have done WW before and lost about 30 lbs, sadly it all came back. I been thinking about going back to WW, not to get skinny but to to get healthy. My man likes my curves and doesn't mine me being a little fluffy. Recently I have not been feeling my best and think its time to get back on the program! Looking fab as always!

FrauTech said...

I think the point of accepting who you are is accepting that it's okay to stay your current weight, to gain some weight OR to lose weight if you so desire in a healthy manner. I'd like to think that if we can all accept who we are than it should be equally okay to accept our choices for what we want to be. I just started dieting again about a month ago, after several years of nothing, so I am with you. Mostly I am trying to get a little healthier, not feel so sick from too much food all the time, and hopefully get some more exercise. Can't help with the white shoes as on the west coast there are little to no seasonal clothing rules. But the outfit looks great!

Weesha said...

such a cute dress! pretty :) and honey, you learn the rules so that you can break them well!

Kenyetta said...

I say pull out the white shoes whenever u want! ur looking fab n that dress!

Sarah said...

Well my rule of thumb is: I wear white shoes whenever the heck I want. As long as they somewhat go with what you're wearing, wear them whenever you want to. In the winter there's snow (at least where I am) Snow is white, hence white shoes can be worn all winter.
Love the pearls, I love wearing heaps of them too.

Maria said...

Your outfit is really cute! I also wanted to say that if you want to lose weight then no one should hold it against you. I've been having some issues with weight too. I gain and I lose and I always tell my husband that I just want to maintain now because I really like the clothes in my close and don't want to get rid of it anymore. I know it's vain, but that's what I care about these days. Clothes are important. Good luck!

As for the shoes, well I'm in souther Texas and I rarely hear anything about fashion rules here. It's warm enough most of the year to wear shorts so as far as white shoes go, I wear them whenever my outfit will match them. I only have white sandals though. But I've worn them as early as February and as late as November. I say wear what you want whenever you want (as long as you look good doing it)!

Ashley said...

I'm dedicating my newest blog post to you. I got up to write basically the same post and it got me thinking why we're so afraid to say "hey, I'd like to be less fat." I don't think there is anything wrong with that, or anyway that that seems like a contradiction of Self Love. If you want to do this for you, that is good reason enough. Whether it's for health or even slightly vain reasons, it's still for you, to make you feel, and look better. There's nothing wrong with that. You go girl!

Also I live in California, so we wear white all year. I really seriously don't get those old "ettique" things about white. I personally think it's ruder to trash someone for wearing a friggin' colour than to actually wear that colour. Wear your shoes, and wear them proud.

Also, uh, freaking awesome dress. seriously.

Unknown said...

First... thank you all for the compliments... I am soooooo happy to see them... especially on particular days.

Second... Prepare to see some white shoes... either this week or next. (gotta get that pedicure!!!)

Third... Watch out size 14 here I come... I am going to win this Biggest Loser contest... I saw some of my competitors... LAZY!!! 30 minutes at the gym... walking the lowest level on the treadmill... yeah... I'm super competitive!!!

BBM said...

LOVE this outfit my dear, u look great and ure an inspiration! xoxo!

sanjeet said...

you look good, im loving the pearls. :)
data entry india

Anonymous said...

I love how you rock those pearls; I like how it looks like you just threw them on; it's more chic and fresh that way!

As for the white shoe rule, I don't believe in that crap! People who stand by that rule are simply going by antiquated guidelines. Rules, especially silly ones are meant to break!

Related Posts with Thumbnails